A case of suspected Ebola in Virginia has killed two people and wounded more than 180 more, according to health officials.
The state Department of Health and Human Services announced the death on Thursday.
Terry McAuliffe announced earlier Thursday that he was ordering state and local officials to take the state into protective custody and to quarantine all residents who may have had contact with the case.
A nurse was flown to the United States to treat the person who died in the county, where it had been confirmed Thursday.
It’s unclear if that person has recovered from the infection.
The patient, who was being treated at a Virginia hospital, was a nurse at the hospital when the case was confirmed.
A second nurse at a local hospital also became ill.
The two nurses are being monitored and will be released once the person is cleared of symptoms, the state Department for Health and Mental Hygiene said.
State officials have not identified the patient, but said he was in stable condition and the hospital is cooperating with the investigation.
State health officials have said the case is being investigated as an isolated case, but no other cases of Ebola have been reported in the state since March.
Health experts say it’s extremely unlikely that Ebola is spreading in Virginia, where the first case was diagnosed in February.
Health experts also say the case should be treated as an incident.